Fucina Artistica Boranga: a historic company, traditional craftsmen’s processes, but with an eye to the future
Fucina Artistica Boranga has perpetuated traditional metalworking, know-how and reputations through six successive family generations.
Our company has its origins with the Boranga family, who came from the wrought iron fiefdom of Maniago del Friuli several centuries ago. The first documented project by Boranga, which is dated 1780, was a bell tower clock for the church of San Martino Vescovo di Paese (TV), which Domenico Boranga – the “Clockmaker of the Villa di Nervesa” – manufactured for the princely sum of 150 ducats. His son Giuseppe was already a much sought after blacksmith, and through his firstborn, who was called Domenico after his father, he handed down his passion for working with metal to his son, Luigi Giovanni Battista Boranga, the grandfather of the current owner. Luigi established his now-renowned workshop, and registered it with the Chamber of Commerce of Treviso in 1925 for his many students and children, one of whom, Gianfranco, inherited what became known as Fucina Artistica Boranga from his father. Gianfranco, the Head of Works, is still there, acting as a point of reference for the company and the family; thanks to his talents, over the years, he has enhanced the skilful working methods handed down to him by his ancestors, increasing the proportions of the manufactured items, reducing the physical strains on the company’s employees and expanding sales to countries beyond Italy. Nowadays, the company has public and private commissions, both from Italy and abroad, for new creations and restorations: we are very grateful and enthusiastic.
1780 Boranga’s first documented contract
1923 start of art workshop set up by Luigi Boranga
1925 Treviso Chamber of Commerce registration
1950 first foreign exports to Venezuela
1965 Gianfranco takes over the business and renames it “Fucina Artistica Boranga”
1984 Gianfranco Boranga awarded the title: “Knight of Merit of the Italian Republic” which was conferred by President Sandro Pertini
2014 transition to the sixth generation of the family since Domenico Boranga, the “Clockmaker”
At Fucina Artistica Boranga we are grateful for, and proud of, the numerous awards and recognitions we have received since the company was taken over by Maestro Gianfranco Boranga, including:
- a gold medal and mention in the roll of honour for prestigious professional activities by Messaggero Economico Italiano [Italian Economic Messenger] on 31st December, 1977
- Gianfranco Boranga awarded the title: “Knight of Merit of the Italian Republic”, which was conferred by President Sandro Pertini on 2nd June, 1984;
- “City of Montebelluna” recognition plaque, with the following motivation: “for the special abilities demonstrated in the traditional processing of wrought iron” conferred by the Municipal Administration on 1st May 1994;
- medal of recognition for work performed on archaeological monuments in Rome, conferred by the Regional Council of Lazio on the occasion of Jubilee 2000;
- recognition plaque for “40 years of meritorious activity” awarded by Confartigianato (Confederation of Businesses) Montebelluna on 8th December, 2005;
- recognition plaque for manufacturing the artistic railings for the “Sculpture for Peace” monument by the Town of Sezze on 29th October, 2009;
- congratulatory letter for “excellence, a distinguishing feature of your activities, and in appreciation of the quality and supremacy of Venetian craftsmanship” from the President of the Veneto Region, Luca Zaia on 6th December, 2010.
Awards, achievements and recognitions received: accolades and recognition for projects in hand-forged iron